Fulbright Program

The term "Fulbright" has now become a brand name used on a variety of international exchange programs cosponsored by the United States and partner countries around the globe.  Where, how, and when one applies for a "Fulbright" depends upon which of these Fulbright programs the candidate chooses.

The Fulbright U.S. Student Program, one program for U.S. citizens, is the nation's largest study abroad fellowship program, and is designed to give recent B.S./B.A. graduates opportunities for international experience, personal enrichment and an open exchange of ideas with citizens of other nations. The J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board looks favorably on qualified graduating seniors, who are still in the process of developing specific career plans. The full list of participating countries may be found here. There are two main types of Fulbright grants:


  • Fulbright Academic Study Grant: These grants generally provide round-trip transportation; book and research allowances; maintenance for the academic year, based on living costs in the host country; supplemental health and accident insurance; tuition, in some cases; and language or orientation courses, where appropriate. Potential applicants should consult the individual country pages for details.
  • Fulbright English Teaching Assistantships: Opportunities to teach English language and conversation classes abroad are available. A stipend is provided based on living costs in the host country. The Fulbright award covers round-trip international travel, health and accident insurance, and orientation costs.Currently, English Teaching Assistantships are offered in the following countries (the list is regularly updated and enlarged): Andorra, Argentina, Bangladesh, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cameroon, Colombia, Czech Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Italy, Jordan, Korea, Macau, Madagascar, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Nepal, Norway, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Slovak Republic, Spain, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, Uruguay, Venezuela, Vietnam.

All UMD undergraduate and graduate students interested in applying to one of the Fulbright award programs must first contact Prof. James B. Gilbert , UMD Campus Representative for Fulbright Programs for Students, who handles advising in conjunction with the UMD National Scholarships Office.

US citizens interested in Fulbright programs for graduating seniors, recent undergraduates, and graduate students may find general information here.

Also see:

Fulbright UK Summer Institutes for Undergraduates