Fulfilling Major Requirements Abroad

Courses that count towards the major. An English advisor will determine which major requirements study abroad courses would fulfill and whether courses count for 300- or 400-level credit if those levels are unclear.  Please bring any course descriptions and syllabi with you for this meeting. This will help the English advisor assign each course to the correct category and level within the major.

Courses that count toward Group I and Group II requirements. By the time students study abroad, they should be done with their Group I requirements (though there are some exceptions to this rule). Some Group II requirements can usually be fulfilled abroad, especially in programs that are geared toward English majors (e.g., the University of Sheffield exchange program, the Maryland-in-London program). For other programs, we recommend that students don't count on fulfilling more than one Group II requirement abroad. Instead, plan on taking most of your Group II requirements at UMD and leave the Group II electives open for study abroad transfer credit.

Courses that count toward the emphasis/electives area. Generally speaking, it is very easy to fulfill electives for the English major while abroad, and these courses can transfer over as a number of 300- or 400-level English classes. Keep in mind, however, that classes that fulfill both English major requirements and electives often transfer as ENGL379 (Special Topics courses) or ENGL428 (Seminars in Language and Literature), and there are restrictions as to how many 379s and 428s you may count towards your major.

UMD-sponsored study abroad programs that offer resident credit. Courses in these programs have already been evaluated for UMD credit, so it's very easy for students to determine which requirements for the major they can fulfill abroad. The UMD equivalencies for courses in these programs are usually listed on the program's page on the Study Abroad website. Students participating in these programs should, however, still meet with their English advisor to figure our which requirements to fulfill while abroad.

Important English major requirements to keep in mind when planning your study abroad classes:

  • Within Group II and the emphasis/elective area, you need to take four 400-level courses to complete your English major.
  • You can only apply nine credits (three courses) of ENGL379 toward your major.
  • You can only apply nine credits (three courses) of ENGL428 toward your major.
  • Only one 300- or 400-level literature class in a literary tradition other than English, either in the original language or in translation, may count as an elective.

Transfering Courses and Grades

Transfer credit. Students are allowed to transfer up to 18 credits from their study abroad program and must earn a "C-" or higher in each course in order to receive credit at UMD and towards their English major (please note: failing is a "D" or lower). Many programs provide transfer credit only, which means the credits transfer for each course, not the grades. Thus, in many instances, the grades students receive abroad will not be calculated into their cumulative GPAs nor will these grades appear on transcripts.

  • Keep in mind that all courses for the UMD English major are worth three credits. So, in order to get credit towards the major, the course or courses you take abroad must be worth at least three credits each.

UMD resident credit. Some UMD-sponsored programs offer full or partial "resident credit." If a UMD-sponsored program states that students will get "UMD resident credit," this means that courses are treated exactly as if they were taken at UMD. On transcripts, the UMD course number and final grade appear for each course with a note that the student took the course in London, France, etc. The grades will also be factored into each student's cumulative GPA.

  • Some programs that offer full resident credit: Maryland-in-London, Maryland-in-Sevilla, and all short-term study abroad programs offered during winter and summer terms.
  • Some programs that offer partial resident credit: Maryland-Berlin, and Maryland-in-Nice. These programs offer a mix of transfer and resident credits.

Posting study abroad credit to UMD record. At the end of the semester, students are responsible for sending their study abroad transcripts to the Education Abroad Office for evaluation. Once a transcript is received, it is compared to the course approval form, evaluated, and sent to the Registrar for posting to the student's official record.