Sigma Tau Delta
Sigma Tau Delta is the international English honors society. Sigma Tau Delta was established in 1924 at Dakota Weslyan University to confer distinction for high achievement in English language and literature studies, and to promote interest in literature and the English language on local campuses and their surrounding communities. Our department’s chapter has sponsored events with faculty speakers, faculty reading events, book and bake sales, and social events at local theaters.
An important part of membership is participating in service activities. Options for doing so could include helping to organize and execute Sigma Tau Delta events, participating in activities that serve the campus community, or providing service to the wider community by, for instance, tutoring at a local school or volunteering for a community organization.
The eligibility requirements to join Sigma Tau Delta include:
- Must be an English major
- In English courses, must hold a "B" average with at least three completed English courses (excluding ENGL101 and any ENGL390's), of which two must be at the 300-400 level
- Must have at least 45 completed university credits with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Must be enrolled in a graduate program in English, Creative Writing, or Comparative Literature
- Must have completed six semester hours of graduate work or the equivalent
- Must have a minimum grade point average of 3.3
Upon submission, the English Undergraduate Studies Office will review your application and e-mail you with your status. If approved, you must bring a check for your one-time national organizational dues of $40.00 to 1128 Tawes Hall. A cashier's check is preferred; a personal check will take several weeks to process. If you were previously a member of another chapter and paid dues, then no additional dues are required.
For more information on Sigma Tau Delta, please e-mail the current chapter leaders, Aidan Boyd (President) and Lena Stypeck (Vice President), at SigmaTauDeltaUMD@gmail.com. You can also visit the national organization's web site or Facebook page.