Initiative for the coming week/month:
Minimize copying for class, use technology for students when possible.
The English Department earned and received the Bronze certificate for a 3rd year, on November 28th, 2016 until November 28th, 2017. In order to sustain our Bronze certificate we need to continue and conserve energy, are mindful to minimize waste by recycling office materials while conserving funds, by buying products that will not impact our environment. While the renewal of our Bronze Certificate is fast approaching, we are also striving to take our department to the next level of Silver certification. The GO Program supports and promotes offices/units that are taking steps toward reducing their environmental footprint. We will continue to engage our staff, faculty and students to promote initiatives that seek to motivate environmentally friendly behaviors as part of the University of Maryland community.
The goals of the program are to:
- Engage the campus community in activities that will strengthen the University of Maryland’s position as a national leader in sustainability
- Recognize and reward leadership in sustainability
- Educate participants about how and why to take action
- Support the University’s Climate Action Plan and Strategic Plan
- Further integrate sustainability into campus culture
- Conserve water, save energy, minimize waste and save money
- Promote campus policies that support sustainability
Department's Green initiatives:
- Reuse file folders for students, and reuse other supplies for your office.
- Convert syllabi to PDF format to send to students and to MEO staff for Department's records.
- If copying, use both sides of the paper.
- Collect all single-sided copy paper and reuse it for other purposes.
- Minimize copying for class, use technology for students when possible.
- Power down your office each day, and unplug for the weekend to reduce power vampires.
- Practice turning off lights in unoccupied areas.
- Bring your own cup for coffee/tea, or use the Dept.'s cups, return clean and put away in cabinet.
- For lunch use Dept.'s plates, utensils, and return clean or use your own.
- Use Recycle bins, including bins for batteries at all times.
- Cancel all subscriptions to unwanted catalogs and junk mail.
English Department Green Office Representatives:
Isabella Moulton, Main English Office -- firstname.lastname@example.org
Grace Crussiah, Professional Writing Program -- email@example.com
Bonnie Paucar, Writing Center -- firstname.lastname@example.org
Learn more about sustainability, visit the Green Office website.